Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news from CommScope direct your inbox every month


Training

How a 70/20/10 Approach to Training Can Positively Impact Your Training Strategy

How a 70/20/10 Approach to Training Can Positively Impact Your Training Strategy

27 September 2017 | Reading Time: 3 minutes


How the 70/20/10 Learning and Development Philosophy Fits the Infrastructure Industry

Taking a 70/20/20 approach to learning and development can help to enhance the impact of training.

Taking the consideration that 70% of learning occurs through practical learning and problem solving, 20% through feedback and mentoring and 10% through formal, conscious learning, this philosophy is something that flexible online training models, such as CommScope’s, support. Below we explore why this approach has value, and how it can be used to positively impact your training strategy.

What is the 70/20/10 Learning and Development Model?

The 70/20/10 learning and development model, developed in the early 90s by Robert Eichinger, Michael Lombardo and Morgan McCall, asserts that 70% of learning and development takes place from real-life and on-the-job experiences, tasks, and problem solving; 20% of the time, development comes from other people through informal or formal feedback, mentoring, or coaching; while 10% of the time learning and development comes from formal training.

The concern with this model is that formal learning initiatives are devalued and that if 90 percent of learning is informal, it therefore requires no attention. However, the 70/20/10 idea resulted from an effort to raise the awareness about informal learning and experiential learning that occurs usually without a mental acknowledgement or even planning by the learner, unlike when engaging in formalized learning which is more of a conscious decision.

As a result, 70/20/10 should be seen as an influence on training strategy rather than a strategy in itself.

How Should A 70/20/10 Model Be Used?

The most useful application of this powerful model for understanding learners and their learning world should be to:

  • Strongly support the 70% of practial learning
  • Develop and enhance the mentoring power of the 20%
  • Design the more formal 10% of learning within the clear context of the other 90%

What the CommScope Infrastructure Academy Thinks About 70/20/10?

70/20/10 learning and development is of course, a philosophy and not a formula! Professionals and leadership can get hung up on the numbers or the right combination of training. But what 70/20/10 is all about is recognizing that a lot of learning happens informally on the job and therefore is a culture change tool to support a model which strikes the right balance for the organization.

70/20/10 is about creating a culture of recognizing informal learning as well as promoting opportunities to learn informally. Issues around people not realizing they are learning as they are doing, but rather they need to attend a training session in a classroom is a significant challenge.

Both leaders, managers and staff need to shift their thinking about what, where, and how learning takes place. Not only does culture and mindset need to change, systems, policies and procedures are affected.

So Does the 70/20/10 Learning and Development Philosophy Work?

Some people may doubt this approach or whether it even works. Common concerns around the model may be that:

  • Some feel releasing control from formalized learning to informal may produce issues for the business
  • Quality can’t be assured or controlled
  • The knowledge and skill transfer may be incorrect
  • The trainer/coach/mentor may not have the right skills

However, in reality it is not too different to apprentice type schemes proven in our type of industry, and the right support from students’ managers and supervisors is a powerful way to engage and encourage employees.

The Commscope Infrastructure Academy  helps to facilitate this philosophy through its online training delivery. It enables the 10% of formal training to be consistently delivered, when, where and at the pace of the student, and it remains available as they learn on the job and with the support of experienced coaches or mentors.

To learn more about the benefits of online training, and especially about the benefits of Passive Infrastructure Training online, read our eBook: Understand the Passive Infrastructure that Underpins Your Network – Online Training For Network Professionals.


Previous Next

Understand Passive Infrastructure That Underpins Your Network

To make the most of the opportunity, accessible passive infrastructure training is the gateway to success.
Download

DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE COPY

To start your free download, please provide your details below
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news from CommScope direct your inbox every month